Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Still here

Hi! I know I have totally been slacking on the blogging front. I was sick all last week and have been a bit busier at work. And now I'm recovering from the weekend of partying and from being sick.

Quick update on food we ate this weekend though. I took N to Roka Akor (a Japanese restaurant/robata grill/shochu lounge) in Scottsdale for her birthday dinner. T and I have eaten there a few times now and its always been decent food. T, N, and I got the omakase, and there was a massive amount of food. Everything for the most part was tasty, but I was disappointed in the lack of fish we actually got. I honestly quit eating halfway through because I was so stuffed. We had so much stuff boxed up but we left in a hurry and thus, lost our midnight snack. I hope I can remember everything...
[image via Rokaakor.com]
For starters we had butterfish tataki with white asparagus (I get this everytime I've gone so far), beef tataki with a chili ponzu sauce, fried tofu with a avocado and wasabi sauce, ginger, and ponzu sauce, burnt tomato salad, and fried oysters with ponzu and shisho. T said he was ponzu-ed out by this point.

Next up, we had sushi: toro tuna roll (two kinds-one had a huge hunk of pickled radish inside), spanish mackarel sashimi (two kinds-both delicious), tuna and yellowtail sashimi, sea bream sashimi, and I think one more thing. I wish we had more sashimi though. Their fish is really good.

Following the fish, butternut squash tempura with a Japanese pepper broth, Yuzo marinated black cod, grilled wild madagascan tiger prawns (HUGE-size of my forearm basically, it was insane), grilled pork belly with marinated beets, cold soba noodles in broth with quail egg and green onions, baby pork ribs with sweet corn in butter and soy, grilled Shishito peppers with ponzu and bonito flakes. I feel like I am forgetting something, but even this list is quite large.

We were suppose to get lamb cutlets too, but the three of us were majorly stuffed so we just called for dessert (pictured below). The desserts change everyday and is always an assortment of sorbets, fresh fruit-like lychee and mangosteen, and other neat things (we got green tea custard with banana foam, some passion fruit thing, and a peanut butter sorbet on top of some cake I can't remember). For N's birthday, they brought out the sample platter (I guess that's what it is called) for free. The Yuzu sorbet was hands down the favorite from the three of us.

After rethinking about everything we ate, I feel like a fatty. For $98/person, it was seriously the most food I've ever gotten. There were some things I did not like, but overall, the food was yummy, the service is always really good (they gave us free sake and free dessert!), so I will most likely go back.

I apologize for the lack of creativity in writing this post. It's noon and I'm ready for lunch so I just wanted to let you all know I'm still alive and blogging! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment