Monday, January 25, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

T's mom got me Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat for Christmas, and I had been itching to test out some of the recipes.

I had made the zucchini spiced muffins and one other recipe from the book since I was able to find the recipe from other websites, but ever since I got the book, I have not been able to decide on what to try first.

Last week, I suddenly had an urge to make Red Velvet Cupcakes. I probably have not made them in over a year and I could not actually remember where I found my old recipe, so I thought I would give Martha a try.

Sadly, they did not turn out. The batter was very thin and I opened my oven door to early to check them and they fell immediately. I do not like how she mixed the baking soda with the vinegar in the end. I do not know what really happened, but I think that was the downfall (literally). These went right into the trash.

The next day, I tried again, but this time I used Magnolia's recipe since I like their vanilla cupcake recipe so much. This batter was thicker, however, they also do the baking soda mixed with vinegar and it confirmed my belief that I am no good at that method. These cupcakes turned out better since I watched them rise from my oven window and was careful not to open too early. But they still were not very domed.

I made a mixture of mini and regular sized cupcakes. Everyone knows the best red velvet is topped with cream cheese frosting so I skipped Magnolia's vanilla and piped on Martha's cream cheese frosting. I took them to work and a sorority rush event and everyone said they were good, so I guess that's okay. For Magnolia's recipe, go here.

I think I will just have to go back and search my archive for what red velvet recipe I used in the past. I will probably try it again in a few months. I'm a little red velvet out after one complete fail and one minor fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment