Monday, January 25, 2010

Pork Steamed Buns

T found this video about two weeks ago on YouTube posted by cookingwithdog. It's "How to Make Nikuman (Chinese-Style Steamed Pork Buns)."

I was visiting my grandma the same weekend he showed me the video so I asked her for some good dried mushroom and dried shrimp and I have since made three batches and he, two. I followed the video recipe exactly (except I added an extra dash or two of soy sauce and oyster sauce).

This is a photo of the first batch T made. He made the dough and the meat filling and I had to pleat, which I am terrible at doing, as you can tell:

The next day, I decided to try to make my own. I kept replaying parts of the video because I am not very good at dough making. I was paranoid that I was going to miss a step or mess it up somewhere along the way. But it wasn't too bad. I got better at the pleating!

It's actually very easy, but a little time consuming because of the prep of all the ingredients and waiting for the dough to rise. The dough is soft, fluffy and flavorful due to the dashi and sesame oil. The meat filling is filled with yummy goodness. We used cabbage from our garden which made it even better. We have about 5 plants of cabbage this big.

All in all, the buns are tasty and we will probably continue making these from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment