Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Kidney for Love


The Today showed did a really sweet story today on a couple who were married for 27 years, divorced, and then fell in love again.

Jim Tobin was ill with polycystic kidney disease and a transplant was the only cure. Ten years ago, his ex wife, Bernadette Tobin offered to be tested because she wanted Jim to live so he could see their grandchildren. She was a perfect match.

After recovering from the transplant, she moved back in with him and they fell back in love. They married again last Sunday at their Massachusetts home, 17 years after their divorce.

This warms my heart. I know a few older people who are in need of kidney transplant and I have discussed with various others about whether they would donate their kidneys, some say yes, some say it depends. My grandfather doesn't want our kidneys because he knows he is going to pass soon and it won't be worth it. My boss won't give his to his brother because he has two sons who might need them. It's all so strange. I would never hesitate on donating if I'm a match because a life is a life. But everyone has their own way of thinking and its their body and life so you can't really pass judgment.

That lady's compassion and the couple's love inspires me.

[Image via MSNBC]

No comments:

Post a Comment