Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mini Yogurt Cake

Since I've moved back to Tucson, I plan on getting back into baking since I have more people to share it with. On Sunday, T suggested that since he was making dinner (champagne risotto with baby heirloom tomatoes), that I should handle the dessert.

I had quite a few recipes that I have been wanting to try, but I was also feeling lazy so I didn't want to make something too difficult. I love the Food Librarian's blog so I decided to make her mini-yogurt cake with fresh strawberries (adapted from the Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe). The ingredients for the cake are scaled to be only a quarter of the original recipe, which worked perfectly for us since it's just T and I and we had no use for a whole loaf cake or a dozen cupcakes.

This was the final product. The actual size is a bit smaller than a regular cupcake. They were tasty and light. I particularly liked the texture and how the edges got a little crispy.

Last night, my sister said she wanted some more of the cakes. The previous night, I had only made 6 cupcakes. Since we had yogurt left in the house and the recipe was really simple, I decided to make them again. I wanted to use my mini cupcake pan since I love all things super mini. I was able to get 11 mini cupcakes. They tasted fine again and the best part about them being tinier was that they got even crispier on the edges.

I'm always nervous about making dessert for T because first, he doesn't like desserts and second, he's a trained chef so I feel he would be really critical of anything I make. However, he said they were good (but mostly, because he thinks anything I'm willing to make him is delicious...begin the awws).

Also, I plan on making a light box soon because the lighting in our house is not so good and if I plan on baking, I want good photographic evidence. :)

1 comment:

  1. oo you moved back to tucson!? i've been away from blogging. now i'm back! those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete