Monday, August 31, 2009

Fat Burros


It's been reported that there is an epidemic of obese burros in the old gold mining town on Oatman in western AZ. The wild burros in the small town's one street are extremely overweight, "with rolls of fat on their necks and big, full bellies."

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management manages the burros and say that half a million tourist visit the small town each year and feed the burros carrots, hay, or anything else and the burros eat it up. They have started a campaign to help the burros get back into shape, as most of them are 100-150 pounds overweight.

How silly.
[image via wikimedia.org]

3 comments:

  1. When are we going to visit these fat burros?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should just come and we can get Mexican hot dogs instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that Oatman is just outside of Bullhead? I am having a hard time believing that Oatman attracts half a million visitors annually...I remember going there on a field trip when I was younger. I also remember going in high school when I was in a school musical and we went to Oatman to borrow saloon lady dresses for a dance number :) I took Kris there a couple years ago on one of our trips to visit my parents. It's sorta amusing.

    ReplyDelete