Friday, August 28, 2009

Mexican Hot Dogs (Sonoran Dog)


On Tuesday's dining and wine section of The New York Times, there was a fun article about the Mexican hot dog. It highlighted the popularity of the hot dogs served in Tucson and some of its vendors, known as hotdoguero.

I remember a friend from high school went to Sonora and Hermosillo and talked about how good their hot dogs were compared to the US dog. But I didn't really know what a Mexican hot dog was until I moved to Tucson 5 years ago. In college, my sorority sisters would rave about how delicious and fattening they were and being the young vain college student I was, the fattening description never turned me on so I never wanted to try one.

However, they opened an El Guero Canelo (a very unpretentious, extremely cheap, and popular authentic Mexican food restaurant), famous for their hot dogs, about 7 minutes from my house so we frequent the place often. Although I have been to the place dozens of times, I have yet to order a hot dog. I've had a bite of one here and there, but something about a hot dog wrapped in bacon, covered in beans, tomatoes, onions, mustard, salsa, mayonnaise stuffed in a soft slightly sweet bun still does not do it for me. Although I do admit the few bites I have had have been good, it's just too much.
At any rate, read the article if you are a fan or are just curious. But most importantly, if you haven't already, you need to try a Sonoran hot dog for yourself. It's really is uniquely different and delicious.
[image via The New York Times]

1 comment:

  1. Drooooool. I miss Sonoran Hot Dogs! I tell anyone in SD that will bother to listen to me describe each ingredient (hot dog, bacon, mayo, fried jalepeno, beans) about the deliciousness that is a Sonoran Hot Dog :) If I come for homecoming, that + Beyond Bread are the 2 things I will eat for sure!

    ReplyDelete