Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Momofuku Pork Belly Buns

After making the Pork Steam Buns awhile ago, S suggested that I test out the famous Momofuku's Pork Belly Buns by David Chang. She sent me the recipe here. It was simple enough and did not require that many ingredients, but there were a lot of steps.
My initial thought had been to make the brine for the pork belly on Monday night and have it sit until Tuesday after work, where I would roast the belly and make the dough. However, after making the brine and then reading through the entire recipe, I realized if I started at 5:30pm (usual time I get home after work), we would not actually eat until midnight. Thus, I had to push the work off to T, who graciously accepted and they turned out great!
I have never actually had Momofuku's before, but my sister had. I asked her if they were the same and she said no. She said Chang's were very greasy and fatty and the ones we made were not. She didn't actually say which ones were better, but she did say these were very good. Success!

They were absolutely delicious. The fattiness of the pork, lightness of the buns---heaven. I stopped my inner fat kid though and only had two buns while T had six! If it didn't take hours to make or was not so fattening, I would want to eat them all the time! I saw that the cost at Chang's restaurant was $9 for two buns. I think this cost us about $10 for over a dozen buns and we still had pork belly leftover.

Note: I used my light box and my sister's digital SLR camera to take these photos. I still cannot get the lighting the way I want it (why is it so yellow/orange?), but I think they turned out better than my usual iPhone photos. The second photo was without the lights and just the camera's flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment