Monday, February 1, 2010

Lemon Thyme Sea Salt Shortbread


I heard this recipe on NPR a few months ago and thought it sounded delicious. I love lemon flavored things and thyme is my favorite herb. I thought the sea salt would make an interesting addition to the savory biscuit.

I had really high hopes for this being really delicious, but unfortunately, I did not like them. They were very dry and I didn't think the lemon or thyme flavor really stood out. But maybe I just could not get over the very dryness of a usually very buttery shortbread.

It was weird that I blended the butter into the flour at room temperature. Typically, when making a dough, the butter should be ice cold. I might try these again sometime with some tweaks to the instructions. I made these the same night as the gorgonzola and leek creme brulee so I may have been distracted working on two separate thing. The best part about them was the nice salty finish on top.

Recipe from Savory Baking by Mary Cech. Click here.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I made these shrotbreads twice already and I love them. First time they were dryish and bland but I refused to give up on this interesting recipe, so I made a few tweaks: I used extra cold butter, I limited kneading to minimum, used more lemon zest and less sea salt, just enough for texture, but not so much to give one hypertension as original recipe calls for 1Tbsp. They turn out great, you should try them again.

    ReplyDelete