Thursday, December 3, 2009

Snickerdoodles? Yes, Please!

I saw on M's Cherry Dot blog that she made a snicker doodle pie for Thanksgiving. She said she found the recipe in a magazine. You can see her pie and the recipe here.

I decided to try it myself on Tuesday since I love snickerdoodles (anything cinnamon, really) and was curious to see what a pie form of the tasty cookie would be like. The pie filling is simple to make and takes no time at all. I had T make me a pie crust because he makes the best one. They are always flaky and buttery.

The pie turned out great and delicious! It has a good texture and flavor. It is slightly tart from the buttermilk and not overly sweet. Just simple clean taste. My only complaint? You don't taste the cinnamon sugar that was sprinkled on top. T said it was the second best pie he had ever tasted (first being the Kahlua pie from Marie Calendar's, bleh I say--it's not even homemade). I will definitely be making this again, just with more cinnamon sugar.

I really do need to learn how to properly crimp the pie crust on the edge. This is the second time my pie edge has turned out all funky.

That same night I also decided to make snickerdoodle cookies because I was afraid the pie would not be good so I wanted a backup dessert. I made the KAF Sugar Cookie recipe (found here) and rolled them in cinnamon sugar. I ran out of all-purpose flour and had to use bread flour instead. Since this made them a bit more puffy, I had a hard time judging when to pull them out. I think they were a little overdone, but everyone who tried them said they were delicious.

1 comment:

  1. OO very nice! it reminds of how i went to chino bandito with dina and they ran out of snicker doodle cookies and she was upset. instead we got oatmeal raison which i LOVE so i wasnt complaining. But then again..i never really had snickerdoodles. maybe once. can u make me a pie too? looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete